I am blessed to be a martial arts professional. Although it can sometimes be extremely challenging, the rewards are worth every bit of the hard work. In order to have the maximum impact on my students today, I always remember that, first and foremost, I am a martial artist. I strive to be the person that my students think I am....
Second, I remember that I am a teacher and I know that our product IS the classroom. When I step on the mat, I am there to teach and serve.
Finally, I focus on the belief that in order to have the most impact on my students, I must run my school as a business and, therefore, I always focus my efforts first on The Five Core Beliefs.
The Five Core Beliefs are as follows…
1) We are the friendliest place in town.
- Visitors are greeted quickly and made to feel important every day
- Instructors eagerly approach students every day
- Senior students are reminded to greet junior students every day
- Through bows, handshakes and polite greetings, respect permeates throughout the school every day
2) We are the cleanest place in town.
- The exterior of the school, lobby, mat, and bathrooms are spotless all the time
- We maintain a family-friendly environment
3) We only teach great classes, never just good classes.
- Every class is taught by motivated, enthusiastic and well trained instructors who have the students’ best interest in mind
- Every class is a great workout
- Every class teaches age and rank appropriate curriculum
- Every class teaches quality life skills
- Every class stresses student camaraderie
4) We are excellent at student/parent communication, including:
- Inquiry to enrollment
- Enrollment to Black Belt Club
- Black Belt Club to Black Belt test
- Black Belt and beyond
5) Every day we look for opportunities to recruit new members
- Internally by encouraging family members of existing students to give martial arts a try
- Externally by sharing the benefits of Martial Arts with people outside the school when it is appropriate
I understand that the only way that our school can continue to grow and prosper is through staff development, so every day I treat my team as I want them to treat our students. I help them to grow by giving them ongoing guidance and feedback. I am constantly on the lookout for new talent and I’m not shy about it.
Finally, I understand that different challenges will present themselves to me every day and I will greet them head on, with the knowledge that I will get through them and be better for it.