The following is a checklist you and your martial arts instructors can use to help grade your performance when teaching young children. Give it a try after your next class:
- I understand the difference between fun and being funny. And I made class fun.
- I was excited that the kids followed along and I was not overly picky about good form.
- I had an older, more experienced student demonstrate the moves.
- I disguised repetition by changing the drills often.
- I praised my students’ effort, encouraged participation, and celebrated their victories.
- I was in awe of each child and made a big deal over the effort they gave, regardless of how they did.
- I reminded my students that they win whenever they give it their all and do their best.
- I helped each student to set goals and I gave them constant feedback.
For more tips and techniques in teaching martial arts for all ages, find out how to become a part of The Satori Alliance. Visit www.thesatorialliance.com today for more information on how to join the association. We offer non-style specific training and certification for instructors to help them run the best classes possible.