I would like to begin with a few questions and hypothetical scenarios for you to consider:
- In the event of a fire, do you have an evacuation plan and are all your employees trained on what to do, where to go, and who to call?
- Are you employees trained on the proper use of a fire extinguisher?
- Are your employees CPR and First Aid certified?
- Do you have a well-stocked first aid kit that is periodically updated?
- In the event of an accident do you have established procedures for your team to follow and a specific form to document the details of what happened?
- Does your staff know how to recognize concussion symptoms and what to do in the event of an incident?
Consider the nature of our business. On any given day we have many students moving at a rapid rate of speed within the confines of our buildings often carrying weapons. At Kovars we believe that safety should be our first priority, especially since the vast majority of our students are children. I’ve read that many people are reluctant to begin martial arts training for two reasons: the fear of looking foolish and the fear of getting hurt. So as businesses are we satisfactorily addressing these concerns, specifically safety?
I believe the success of most businesses is predicated on satisfied customers that keep coming back. So what gets our customers to return again and again? Well there are the obvious: great classes that challenge without overwhelming our students and provide cutting edge curriculum taught by caring professional instructors in a top-notch facility.
As a rookie instructor I used to think it was necessary to push my students hard in their martial arts training. Well it didn’t take long for me to realize I was killing some of my students and driving them away. The few and the proud is fine for the Marines but not if you want a successful martial arts school with a large student body.
Each of us has a business model that we believe will give us the best chance of success in our market. However, if people are fearful of injury when they train with us, how much does self-defense really play in our daily operation? Our schools have implemented a comprehensive safety program centered on Injury & Illness Prevention. This is a great program that can be tailored to fit the specific needs of your business too.
Another important element of our safety program involves educating our employees on concussion protocols. We recognized the potential for injury of this kind because of the sparring and falling skills we teach in our curriculum. This training enables our staff to recognize if a student has experienced a concussion and the necessary steps to insure their proper care.
A good way to establish your own safety program is to determine what your own state OSHA requires. Below are some references for anyone that wishes to start creating their own safety program.
- Injury & Illness Prevention Program [click here]
- Concussion Protocols Program [click here]
- CPR & First Aid Training [click here] [click here]
- General Safety Training [click here] [click here]
- Active Shooter Safety Presentation [click here]
For more safety tips and resources in running a successful martial arts school, receive a free walkthrough and make an appointment now by clicking here. Kovar Systems provides integrity-based coaching and community resources to busy school owners that save you time and grow your business.